Monday, January 5, 2015

Literary Lundi #7

So many bookish posts lately!

Books Acquired:

Bellweather Rhapsody by Kate Racculia-- A mystery involving high school musicians and a hotel. The description says it's a combination of Agatha Christie, Glee, and The Shining, so sounds cool.

Jackaby by William Ritter-- I've seen this described as a combination of Doctor Who and Sherlock.

Twee by Marc Spitz-- A history of twee culture.

The Last Policeman by Ben H. Winters-- More mystery, this one with a pre-apocalyptic setting.

And, I gave in and got the audiobook for Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, so I can continue my re-read.

Books Finished:


Night Watch (Watch, #1)Night Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

So, I've read a few older, classic Russian works, but this is the first more contemporary piece of writing I've read from there, and it was pretty good (maybe a 3.5, but rounded down). At first I kinda thought the era in which it was set was a dystopia, but no, I think he's just describing how Russia is (I mean without like the vampires and people with powers and stuff). So anyway it was a pretty good story that I think would appeal even more to people who really like this kinda paranormal, urban fantasy-ish stuff.

View all my reviews

And I also finished The Art of Asking by Amanda Palmer, but I'm going to do a bigger review of that on the blog in the next few days.

Currently Reading:

Freakonomics by Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner-- I am loving this so far! Every page gives me a new little tidbit to turn to Hunter and say, "Did you know...?"

And, as I mentioned before, the audio of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.

Up Next:

I haven't decided what to read next, but I'm thinking maybe fiction in a more realistic contemporary setting, since the last few things I've read have been sort of paranormal and/or historical.

No comments:

Post a Comment