Tuesday, January 20, 2015

(Late) Literary Lundi #9

Well this one is a day late because my mom has been in town visiting! In a day or so I will post some pics and thoughts about her trip, but for now, on to the regularly scheduled update on my bookish antics:

Books Acquired:

The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher by Kate Summerscale-- A narrative non-fiction mystery I had just heard about before I saw it was on sale.

Final Jeopardy by Stephen Baker-- Because I love all things Jeopardy!.

Authority and Acceptance by Jeff VanderMeer-- These are the second two instalments of a trilogy. I haven't actually read the first one yet (which I also own), but I have heard such good things about it that I trusted myself to want the whole set.

Books Finished:


The Big GameThe Big Game by Sandy Schofield
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This was the first Deep Space Nine book I've read, and it's pretty true to the series. The basic plot is that Quark is hosting a poker game with the greatest players in the quadrant. But that may not be the only big game disrupting the station...

The Quark and Odo characters were the best developed, which makes sense because the main plot focused on them. Sisko also had a few lines that I could really picture Avery Brooks delivering. This definitely had the same goofy vibe as early DS9. I'd say if you're a fan of the series, it's worth reading.

View all my reviews Selected Short StoriesSelected Short Stories by Rabindranath Tagore
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This is the first book in my attempt at reading more diversely this year. I think the author won the Nobel Prize earlier in the 20th century. The most interesting thing about the stories was how different the setting was, and how many different cultural assumptions were present. They really did take place in a completely different world.

My favorite story was probably the first on in the collection; it had a creepy, almost Lovecraftian vibe to it. Most of the stories ended on pretty bleak notes. I mean, the "happiest" one still had someone die at the end, it's just that his death led to closure (and continued poverty) for one of the other characters.

So anyway, this is way outside my reading comfort zone and I'm glad I read it, but I would not describe it as "my thing."

View all my reviews

Currently Reading:

I'm still making my way through Goblet of Fire on audio. I haven't read as much this past week, since most of my reading gets done while I'm walking by myself and with my mom here, that hasn't happened too much. Also reading Chronicles, Vol. 1 by Bob Dylan. It's not bad, but kind of weird. Expect more when I write my review next week.

Up Next:

It's been a while (relatively speaking) since I've read a 2014 release so I think How to Build a Girl will be next up.

No comments:

Post a Comment