Monday, January 26, 2015

Literary Lundi #10

Books Acquired:

Weirdly, I didn't buy any ebooks this week, but there were a few things on sale at Audible, so I got two audiobooks.

The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield-- This has been on my to-read list for a while (it's #13 of over 1000) so when I saw it on sale I figured it was time.

The Good Girl by Marie Kubica-- I don't remember where I'd heard about this, but I guess I read something that interested me and I don't read many thrillers so it diversifies my reading a little bit.

Books Finished:


Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Harry Potter, #4)Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I'm giving all the HP books the same rating, because even though there are some I like better than others, the difference from 4 to 5 is too big.... maybe if it were a 100-pt scale.

Anyway, a lot of people cite the third book as when the series got darker and that might be true of the movies (it's been a while since I've seen them), but I think this is where the books really get crazy. Not only is more at stake, for everyone, but the characters are starting to grow up and that is also reflected. JK Rowling's writing also matured starting here. There is a lot of foreshadowing, both to what happens in this book and in future books. It'll probably be a while before I re-read the 5th one, since I have other audiobooks for a while and they are quite expensive, but I really can't wait!

View all my reviews Chronicles, Vol. 1Chronicles, Vol. 1 by Bob Dylan
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I'm not like the world's biggest Dylan fan or anything, but I thought it would be interesting to read this book and it was. There are five sections, and each one details a specific point in time. It doesn't really read chronologically; it starts when he has just moved to New York and is trying to break through as a musician, then a later section goes back to before he left the midwest. The section about the making of an album was a little bit "inside baseball," but it also took place in New Orleans, which made it really interesting to me.

The writing style is really poetic, as I guess you'd expect from a poet. Probably if you are a huge fan, you need to read this, but I don't think there is a ton in it for just the casual listener.

View all my reviews

Currently Reading:

Audio-- The Good Girl by Marie Kubica
Ebook-- How to Build a Girl by Caitlin Moran

Up Next:

I'm thinking my next ebook will be The Riddle of the Labryinth: it's a book I've owned for a while and fills in a task on the Seasonal Reading Challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment