Monday, December 15, 2014

Literary Lundi #5

Books Acquired:

Night Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko-- A sci-fi novel translated from Russian, which will fit into one of the tasks for the Seasonal Reading Challenge.

Doctor Who: Silhouette by Justin Richards-- When I see a Doctor Who novel on sale, I grab it. This one is with the 12th Doctor, and appears to feature the Paternoster gang.

Memory of Water by Emmi Itaranta-- The author of this is Finnish, although I think she wrote it in both English and Finnish? It's a future where water is scarce. Mixed reviews, but sounded like the kind of thing I like.

Books Finished:

I only finished one book this week, and it's starting to look like I won't meet my reading goal for the first time in several years. I don't really think that having a kid is an excuse, since my goal was lower. Really I've just been spending more time playing video games, reading blogs, and doing other stuff.


Give Them Grace: Dazzling Your Kids with the Love of JesusGive Them Grace: Dazzling Your Kids with the Love of Jesus by Elyse M. Fitzpatrick
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Hunter got this book and thought it would be a good idea if we both read it, so that it wouldn't just be him telling me what it said. I was a bit scared because I don't often read books that affect my life so much, but I went into it hoping to have both an open mind and a critical eye. I knew I would agree with the basic theological assumptions the authors made, but I didn't just want to read this with an intention of blindly following everything they said.

I'm not going to summarize every point they make, but the basic idea is that Christian parenting should look different from other parenting, and that difference is the presence of grace in every facet of life. There are a few minor technical details I wasn't on board with (corporal punishment and your typical woman-as-temptress model of modesty), but overall they paint a great picture of what Gospel-centered parenting looks like. Elyse is really honest about the ways she failed to parent like this, which I appreciated.

Right now Sadie still doesn't require as much parenting as she does just basic needs (although she is less of a baby every day *sob*), so I think this will be a book I come back and refer to as she grows and her rebelliousness becomes more apparent.



View all my reviews

Currently Reading:

I'm still reading the audio of The Bone Season, although I should be done with that within the next few days.

The Magic Trick by Levi Stack-- I read the first book in this...quadrilogy... last month and the author was kind enough to give me a copy of the second one.

Up Next:

For my next audiobook, I'll probably use my credit to get The Art of Asking by Amanda Palmer, since she is one of my favorite performers and I'd like to read her book. And I think the next ebook I read will be the aforementioned Night Watch.

And, if you're interested in statistics, watch the blog because I'm going to do a big post about my reading habits over the past three years!

No comments:

Post a Comment