Sunday, December 28, 2014

Bohemian Rhapsody, Part One: Is This the Real Life?

I'm going to break up our Prague trip into a few parts, as I did with the London trip. This post will include the trip there and the first day or so.

We actually spent the night before we left in Duesseldorf, since our flight was a bit early. Just to get from the hotel to the airport, we woke up at 6:30, so I'm glad we decided to do that instead of taking an early train. Ever since the London trip, I'm a bit paranoid about missing planes, even though that one was because I mixed up the times.

I dressed up Sadie in one of the Christmas outfits she had opened the night before, a little elf type thing. Everyone at the airport was just flipping out over how cute she was. Some of the shop ladies squealed in joy when they saw her, and then ran to get a little stuffed toy to give her. Sadly, we lost the toy on the plane. Anyway, you can judge for yourself how cute she was:


All of the picture are going to be phone pictures. I'm not really what you'd call a "photog," and packing the camera isn't something I do automatically. So I did the best I could with what I have and next trip I'm really going to try to remember the real camera.

Anyway, we made it to Prague in one piece and checked into the hotel, then decided to grab some lunch. There was a nearby brew-pub sort of chain that we went to. Apparently, the Czech Republic drinks more beer per capita than any other country, like, it's not even close. I believe Czechs drink about 150 liters/year and the 2nd place country is Austria, with 100 liters/year. That's basically an average of a bottle a day per person. So we had some beer and dumplings and meat, which seems to be the main things people eat there.

The other thing we did that night was walk around. We walked across the Charles Bridge and through a few Christmas markets. They have the main big one, but there seem to be little miniature markets here and there. I got my first of several "Trdelnik." Basically it's a rope of dough coiled around a sort of a skewer, and grilled. The dough has butter, sugar, cinnamon, and nuts in it and it comes to you in the form of a hollow cylinder. Here is me eating one:


We overheard an English speaker, North America, probably just American, dismissing this as "just sugar and bread." Yes, it's sugar and bread. Every dessert is sugar and bread. Why do you need more than sugar and bread? We had several of these during the week, and they are SO GOOD. That night I started getting a bit of a headache, but I did manage to take a picture of this sign that Hunter pointed out:
Watch out for Charlie Chaplin!

Our hotel was really close to a metro stop, which was useful. The metro system seems pretty good, although the escalators are a bit scary: not only are they really tall, they are unusually fast! The only comparably tall escalator I have been on is this one in DC, near the Mall. Another sort of weird thing I noticed was how many ads for books there were in the stations. There were a few ads for movies and plays, too, but I can't remember seeing that many book posters in other transit systems I'd been in. Is this a new trend? Or am I just non-observant?

Alright, next post I'll talk about museums and our favorite meal of the trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment