Friday, March 7, 2014

Dill Potato Salad with Smoked Trout--Food Post

Not sure how interesting my cooking is to anyone but myself, but at the very least I can put this on my Pinterest board of recipes I've tried for next time I'm deciding what to make. This recipe comes from a German cooking magazine called Lecker, which basically means "tasty." I think. Anyway it's been edited based on personal taste, ingredients I could get, and my reading comprehension, so here it is.

Ingredients:
~500g small potatoes (I think we would call them new potatoes? This probably would be good with those little potatoes that are all different colors, like some of them are purple inside?)
1 Onion--I think I used red, as that is my preferred onion type
4 Tbsp Oil--I most likely used rapeseed, I think vegetable oil would be fine, or Olive Oil for the part you aren't cooking. EVOO might have too strong of a flavor, at least the ones you can get here.
5 Tbsp White Wine Vinegar
1/4 Tsp Vegetable Bouillon
Salt, Pepper Sugar
1 Heaping Tbsp Mustard--I think the recipe calls for the kind with like big seeds in it, but I didn't have that I just had some spicy mustard and then I put some mustard seeds in also
5 Pickles--I don't really know what these are called in English. The little pickles that are maybe 2-3 inches long.
The recipe called for a Tbsp of capers, but Hunter doesn't like them so I omitted them
250g smoked trout filets. I don't know the exact weight I used, I just got two filets. These are a standard and inexpensive item at the grocery store here; I imagine if you have trouble finding it you could substitute regular cooked fish. I think the taste of smoked salmon might be too strong, though.
1 Bunch Dill.

1. Wash the potatoes and put them in boiling water with the peels on for 15 minutes. Finely chop the onion. Cook the onion in 1 Tbsp oil (or just however much you want). Add 6 Tbsp Water, the vinegar, and the bouillon. Cook for a little bit, then stir in salt, pepper, 1 Tsp sugar, mustard, and 3 Tbsp oil.

2. Cut the potatoes into halves or fourths, depending on size. Put in the "marinade" you just made for at least an hour.

3. Finely chop the pickles. Chop the capers, if you are using them. Break the trout filets into pieces. Finely chop the dill. Put everything together with the potatoes, season with salt and pepper to taste.

The result:

The conclusions:
I would definitely make this one again. However, if I make it again I will have to use cooked fish because Hunter really isn't a fan of smoked fish. He thought the potato salad was really good, though. I generally prefer smoked fish, so I usually have it for lunch. We could also make the potato salad and add cooked fish to his and smoked fish to mine, or just have it without fish as a side to something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment