Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Yo Yo, Maastricht!

I know, the pun titles are getting worse.

Anyway, last weekend we had one of the many long-weekends that mean it's springtime in Germany. We had not yet gone to Maastricht, which is one of the closer towns in the Netherlands so we made the trip, about an hour.

The main thing I wanted to see was the bookstore that's in a church. It pops up every so often on lists of beautiful bookstores, and it is beautiful. However, it's just a bookstore that used a church for a building. The design of the bookstore isn't really integrated into the design of the church. Here's a pic:


I picked up a couple pieces of loot: a tote bag that said "I got 99 problems but a book ain't one" and a copy of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland translated into... Limburgish... hang on, Googling... yes, that is the name of a language. I was hoping to get The Little Prince to add to my collection, but they didn't have it and I guess I'm not 100% certain it even exists.

We also visited a basilica to Saint Serviatus. It was really pretty, and sadly not many of my pictures actually came out. I had one of the ceiling, and one of this cool modern stained glass window, but Sadie was grabbing for my phone while I took them, so they got a bit shaky. Anyway here are the ones that did come out:

This grandiose key is one of Serviatus' emblems

This is I think the oldest, or one of the oldest, parts.

We also tried a pretty delicious chocolate filled waffle and stopped at a cafe where Sadie was, of course, admired. It was a really nice day out and there was also an outdoor market type thing. We are definitely not opposed to going back on a Sunday or some day when there isn't much going on here.

But does it have a Moon Door?

So that's it! A quick post about a quick trip!

And yeah, I know I haven't posted about our trip to Berlin yet. That... might be next?

No comments:

Post a Comment