Saturday, July 13, 2013

Achievement Unlocked: Haircut in Another Language

Today, Hunter and I went to get haircuts. Even though I had been saying I wanted to grow my hair out, I decided I just couldn't do it. My hair is so thick and gets so heavy and falls out so much that it just wasn't practical for me. Plus, I wanted to dye it a crazy color and one box of bleach is NEVER enough to lighten all my hair so I figured I would go quite a bit shorter which would make it easier to do at home. Hunter looked up a few key phrases to know when getting a haircut; I was like pshhh everyone speaks English here. Plus I did have a picture of what I wanted, which I figured would be sufficient to convey what I wanted my hair to look like.

So we went to this place right around the corner from where we live and sat down. Hunter went first and his haircut looked great. He basically told the guy he wanted it 5 or 6 cm shorter than it was currently, and it turned out I think exactly how he pictured. I was not quite as fortunate.

When it was my turn, I showed the guy the picture of what I wanted. For reference, here it is:
I thought the length of it would be pretty evident from the picture: it's really short in the back. He asked me (in German, which Hunter helpfully translated) how short I wanted it in the back. I indicated a point that I thought was fairly short, although obviously I can't see the back of my head, so apparently I didn't convey quite enough. Anyway, this is what I ended up with:
Yeah, I don't even know.

At first I was basically thinking that on Monday I would just go somewhere else, show them the same picture, and hope they did a better job, but I kinda decided that would be a waste of money. It's cute enough and probably short enough that one box of bleach will take care of it, if I choose to go that route. I just don't understand what the guy was even thinking. I mean it isn't asymmetrical AT ALL. Hunter said I could just take some scissors and try to adjust the lengths in front. I don't know, maybe I'll try that but I don't really want to make things worse.

It's hard to see from the picture, but I think the back is actually marginally LONGER than the front. I was pretty disappointed at first because it wasn't what I wanted, but it doesn't look BAD per se so I figure it's just one of those things that happens and then in a month or two it will be time for another haircut and I can go somewhere else.

At least they didn't expect me to tip.

1 comment:

  1. You should check out StarSchnitt. They seem to be able to do a decent job. The first haircut I got here was total crap. The woman didn't listen to anything I said, and was really rough with my head! I ended up leaving with a headache from her yanking my head around so much.

    ReplyDelete